Sunday, March 2, 2014

Exploring Sewing: A different technology for me....





I have always wanted to learn to sew---somewhat inexplicably.  When I became a Presidential Innovation Fellow and started working 70 hours a week for the American people, I quite practicing viola, which has taught me something:  I cannot live for long without doing something when my hands.  I have to work with my hands.  I argue (I'm not the first) that the brain should really be thought of as including the retina and the fingertips.

Four years ago, my daughter was interested in being a fashion designer.  Being a supportive father, I bought her a sewing machine.  However, after a while, it sat unused in the closet---until last month.

My first project was a skirt from a pattern.  Skirts are the easiest garments to make.  The project was partially successful---the skirt is wearable, but has not yet been worn.

My second project was to address a need we have had in our house for some time: privacy drapes in our hot-tub/laundry/bath room.  These are barely needed because the geometry of our house doesn't let people see in---unless they are, for example, in a truck.

But nonetheless we wanted drapes, to cover the window shown in the first photo.  Note that this window is unusually wide and short.  Furthermore, I strongly wanted something translucent so as to not darken the room too much even when the drapes are drawn.   Finally, I wanted something to match the red hot-tub cover and the cedar paneling.

You can't find drapes like that at Wal-mart.  You can find drapes like that online---you can find anything online---but where is the fun in that?

I'm happy to say that Nancy Zieman's Sew with Confidence remained in the box with the Baby Loc Design Pro sewing machine, and that it includes an almost clear description of how to make tab drapes.  Having scraps and muslin available, I made a test work without purchasing any new material, which is shown in the fourth photo.  Hanging this on the curtain rod proved successful, and making it helped me understand how to make the drapes.

I purchased some burgundy poplin and yellow cotton gauze, and followed the same approach.  The result was mostly successful.  As The Dude would say, the drapes "really tie the room together."

I am much more confident in my use of my machine now.

Some things I learned:

1) Making the rough draft was a technique I will employ more often.
2) Gauze is so stretchy that it is almost impossible to measure and cut perfectly.  You will note the hem is uneven.  I worked a long time to get it that close!  Perhaps someone with a large table and rotary cutter could have done better.

I personally am always interested in home economics.  Here is the breakdown of this project:

Curtain Rod from Wal-mart: about $15
Gauze and poplin, (of which much remains): $45
Sewing notions and impulse buys : $10
Total input in terms of time: 12 hours

So in terms of cash, this project was slightly cheaper (arguably) than buying drapes, but it would have been hard to get the color and translucence and all-cotton construction that I valued.

At minimum wage, this would have been a financial loss over buying drapes.  At what I make as an expert computer programmer, it is a financial disaster.

In terms of education, however, it more than made up for the loss.  I value very highly leveling-up my sewing skill.  I can now honestly claim to be a rank beginner.

On top of that, my wife seems happy with the results, always an added bonus.



No comments:

Post a Comment